Tuesday 26 April 2016

Work Diary - Shoot 4: Homelessness

Evaluation 

For this shoot, I initially wanted to travel to London and take real life photographs of homeless people. However, at the time, it was difficult to get myself to London. Therefore, I decided to dress a model up, and 'act' out Homelessness. To do this, I used make-up to make my model look dirty and run down, and I also asked them to wear really big, and old clothes. This shoot was on Location as this was the most appropriate, and I positioned my model on the floor as well as on a bench, with a blanket and a sign that said "Spare Change?". I also set the scene with a old, ragged cloth with some money on it. I think this worked well because it allowed me to recreate the most extreme circumstances for a homeless person, such as dirtiness and feeling incredibly cold. Homelessness is a very common issue worldwide, with more and more young people becoming apart of the figures. I wanted to create realistic photos that make people think twice. I want these photos to induce sympathy and discomfort, as this will make people become more aware about the issues that surround them on a daily basis. 


In this photo, I asked my model to sit on a bench, with a blanket around him, holding the cardboard sign. In this photo you can see the dirtiness of my models face and hands, and we also ripped the sign around the edges to make it look a lot more ruined and stained as well.  I included a lot of the background within this image as I wanted it to be clear that the model was outside. Also, because there is a lot of background, we can see that it has been raining as the wall and plants look quite damp, which indicates that the model must be cold and wet. This photo shows that homeless people have to go through all sorts of conditions, and extreme weather changes. 


In this image, the focus is mainly the model and the dog, as it is a close-up. I have also edited the image into black and white, as this emphasises the make-up on the model, which looks like dirt, and also makes the photo feel more sad and depressing. The model is looking directly into the camera with quite an unhappy expression, but the dog is looking away with its head tilted downwards. Again, emphasising the unhappiness within the photo. In this photograph, the model is lying down on the bench, to show that this is where they sleep. The photo is quite dark so we cannot see the background, however I think this holds the focus on the person and the dog. 

Progression

If I were to re-shoot or continue this topic, I would go up to London and take photos of real-life homeless people. Seeing as I couldn't do that for this shoot, I think my photos portray my message well, and also show what being homeless is like for some people. These photos were meant to remind people that this is how some people have to live, on the streets, in the cold, with hardly anything keeping them alive. I wanted to create images that made people think about the meaning behind them. For my next shoot, I plan to express the issues with addiction, such as drugs and alcohol. Each shoot contains a different issue, but each issue is just as important as the other, which is why I've chosen to focus on lots of different issues rather than just one throughout this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment